Monday, February 9, 2009

Gummi Bears


This blog started out a school assignment to write a short scene based off of a picture that my Mom found in the news paper, I was about twelve years old when I wrote it...hope you like it!

“Jimmy, tell these men what happened,” said his frustrated mother slumped in the small wooden chair in the corner.

Jimmy stared in to the mirror, listening to the rhythmic ticking of the clock above on the wall of the interrogation room. The police officer stood in Jimmy's line of vision.
“Are you going to just stare at that all day?” asked the police officer.
Jimmy pleaded, “Is Chris OK? What happened to the lady in the store? What’s going on? Where’s Chris?” His Mom stared in to his eyes reassuring him that Chris was in the other room and after he told the man what happened, he could see him, even though she knew it wasn’t true.
Jimmy, a smart boy for six years old, demanded, “No, I want to see Chris now. I want to make sure he’s OK!”
“What makes you think something’s wrong?” questioned the police officer who took a seat on the hard metal table.
“While Chris and I were getting gummi bears, those are his favorite, this man walked into the store. He was dressed in black. Chris said He looked like the robber in the movie we watched last night. Then he passed the isle we were in…” Jimmy paused and looked down at his shoes.
“Don’t stop, sweetie, you’re doing great,” urged his mom, tears running down her cheeks. She never thought something like this could happen in such a small town.
“Then the man pulled out a gun and told the lady behind the counter, ‘Hand me the cash and no one gets hurt!’ Chris told me he was going to tell the man we loved him in the movie and he wanted me to go with him. I told Chris that wasn’t a good idea and that I thought something was wrong, but he had already turned the corner. He started yelling, ‘Hey, Hey you!’ at the man. There was a loud bang and Chris fell to the floor. The lady behind the counter screamed, “You didn’t have to do that. He didn’t hurt anything.’ The man turned the gun on her and said,’ open the register and give me the money.’ I ran to Chris and whispered in his ear and asked if he was alright. Then I heard another loud bang, the lady screamed but stopped this time. I heard the bell on the door ring; I walked to the counter to look. The lady was gone and that’s when I called you, Mom.”
Jimmy looked at the corner as his mom wiped tears from her eyes and smiled weakly, “You did good, sweetie, you did good.”
“Now, I can see Chris, right?”
The police officer got up and harshly said,” Chris is gone; he got shot in the head. There was nothing we could do.”
“No! No! That can’t be. He just wanted the man’s autograph. He really thought he was the robber from the movie. Chris can’t be dead!” shouts Jimmy angry about what the officer just told him. His mom got up from the corner and embraced him in her arms as tears gushed down Jimmy’s face. He realized he would never see his best friend again.
Many Years Later...
”…and that’s what happened,” explained Jim to his son, Sam, many years later.

Oh, that’s why we come here every October,” said the young boy looking around the cemetery. “Can I put the roses on the grave, Daddy?” Sam asked while pulling a bag of gummi bears from his pocket.
“Sure you can, buddy,” replied Jim staring down at the head stone and remembering his long lost friend. Sam put the roses on the grave, looked at his dad, and sat on the grass. “Come on, Sam. Its time to pick up your mom from work,” said Jim taking one last look at his friend’s head stone until next October.
Sam grabbed his dad’s hand as they were walking away and asked, “know what dad?”
“What Sam?”
“My favorite thing is gummi bears just like Chris. Isn’t that weird?” exclaimed Sam. Jim thought of the many similarities between Sam and Chris and smiled knowing that through Sam he would always remember his best friend.

No comments: