Monday, April 13, 2009

~**Poles**~

The lost but not forgotten

Half torn and wind swept

Advertisements of past ended sales

Nails, screws, tape and tacks hold these items

A yellowing scrap of paper, half torn off by the latest storm

Intrigues my eye

Saying “Denver Post” I try to squint and read the date

As the car starts slowly moving away

I see a poster of a yellow lab named Bruno

As I look a little closer I can see a young child hugging him

In the picture below the big letters saying “LOST”

A poster with bright orange writing catches my eye

I see the date was the previous year in July

Imagining what it must have been like,

For that was one of the hottest summers we have had for a while.

The poster says in big green letters everything must…

The ink had run from the recent snow we had fortunately got.

I thought maybe it said “everything must go”

Coming to the conclusion that is probably what it said

After I went through many different ideas in my mind,

But none of them exactly fit like “Go” did.

The old, new, and unknown posters

Still blow in the brisk winter air

Staying day in and day out

Being joined by new posters daily

By pedestrians walking on the sidewalk

And I wonder does anybody bother to read

The countless weathered sheets pinned loosely on this warn wooden post.

No comments: