Monday, September 1, 2008

Flooding of the Colorado River







Well, I wasn’t sure what to write for my first blog, but here it goes. It started out a normal summer in this small town, but then in my little bucket town something extraordinary happened. The worst time since 1982 the Colorado River flooded. It was so high some of the lower parts of Grand Junction were closed due to threat of rising water. I went down to the Junior Service League park, where there was a marker protruding out of the fast rushing water, a few feet from the bank. I went down there almost every other day. It was beautiful and exciting that I got to experience that in my life time.

The pier was corroding from the constant stress of the quick flowing water beating up the side of it. It rained numerous times my family and I walked down the winding path. My sister and I the exploring type wandered about the wilderness around us, not staying on the paths. Sometimes we had to though, when the ground between the path and the river was to eroded for even us to venture on. There were various objects that floated down from small to large logs to a banana yellow crock that ended its journey at the base of a monkey nut tree close to the bank of the river. I was intrigued so had to take a picture of it. I guess you could say one persons debris is someone else’s photo opp.The one spot that was my sister’s favorite place was a spot we liked to call the tree grave yard. Its what the picture up top is of. Yes, I take pictures of just about anything that inspires me or makes me laugh. That’s about it. I will talk to you next Monday.

No comments: